I'm currently writing a piece of music (solo piano) which has a certain ornament. This is the way that I want it to be played: The ornament that I need to notate

It would be really nice if I could notate it something like the following: How I want it to look. or Also a possibility for how it should look.

However, I'm not sure how I should notate it. I was trying some different things on MuseScore, and I found that the following (in the automatic playback) sounds perfect: Sounds correct on MuseScore. However, after doing some research on mordents and ornament types, this doesn't seem right, and that particular symbol looks like it should be a trill (with upper prefix), not 'mordent with upper prefix' as MuseScore calls it. EDIT: After further listening, it is just discernible that it is a full trill (with 4 notes) rather than just a mordent. At the speed of the playback I was using it was almost indiscernible.

Could anyone help me with which ornament type I should use in this case?

1 Answer 1


The ornament you're looking for is called a nachschlag. (See, for example, Trills in Clementi Op. 36 No. 1 2nd movement.)

Presuming treble clef, the notation you want will look like an eighth-note B, two 32nd-note grace notes leading to a sixteenth-note A, and then the sixteenth-note G#.

Nachschlag example

The other ornament signs, such as the trill and mordent, are presumed to take their time-value away from the beginning of the note being ornamented.

To do this is MuseScore, use the "Grace: 32nd after" button on the Grace Notes menu.

MuseScore Grace Notes menu

  • Perfect! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much. I may end up using 64th notes (if possible), this is what I was looking for.
    – Josh
    Sep 24, 2022 at 2:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.