There's a very common drumming technique, usually towards the end of a bar, where the hi-hat is hit while being opened creating a "riser" sound.

I had always thought it was called a "fill," but it's really just a very simple version of a fill. What is this sound/technique called?

  • 1
    Open hi hat? Not everything has a name. Jan 8 at 6:02
  • Good question! We like labels, so if there isn't one, maybe there should be! Although there are various hi-hat sounds from hard shut through 'half open', to completely open, let alone 'hit it closed, and open it straight away'. +1.
    – Tim
    Jan 8 at 10:15
  • 3
    Does this answer your question? What is the name of this drums "disco" rhythm/technique?
    – ojs
    Jan 8 at 19:09
  • 1
    Not sure, but it's definitely not "drum riser", which is something else entirely.
    – Theodore
    Jan 9 at 16:21
  • 1
    @SephReed the point is, it doesn't seem to name beyond "open hi-hat" or at least nobody here has heard it. My best guess is that after coming up with "pataflafla" and ""flamadiddle-diddle", the mysterious cabal that invents the names decided it's getting too silly and stopped.
    – ojs
    Jan 9 at 21:48

2 Answers 2


It sounds like you might be describing this sound:

I would describe this simply as "gradually open hi-hat" / "slowly open hi-hat"


It's just called "open hi-hat". And yes, it is often used as simple type of drum fill.

Here is a short lesson on how to play open hi-hat:

Open hi-hat is usually represented in notation by a small circle (o) above a regular hi-hat note. Closing the hi-hat is then represented with a small plus sign (+) above the note. Once the hi-hats are closed the plus sign is not written.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.