There's a very common drumming technique, usually towards the end of a bar, where the hi-hat is hit while being opened creating a "riser" sound.

I had always thought it was called a "fill," but it's really just a very simple version of a fill. What is this sound/technique called?

  • 1
    Open hi hat? Not everything has a name. Commented Jan 8, 2023 at 6:02
  • Good question! We like labels, so if there isn't one, maybe there should be! Although there are various hi-hat sounds from hard shut through 'half open', to completely open, let alone 'hit it closed, and open it straight away'. +1.
    – Tim
    Commented Jan 8, 2023 at 10:15
  • 3
    Does this answer your question? What is the name of this drums "disco" rhythm/technique?
    – ojs
    Commented Jan 8, 2023 at 19:09
  • 1
    Not sure, but it's definitely not "drum riser", which is something else entirely.
    – Theodore
    Commented Jan 9, 2023 at 16:21
  • 1
    @SephReed the point is, it doesn't seem to name beyond "open hi-hat" or at least nobody here has heard it. My best guess is that after coming up with "pataflafla" and ""flamadiddle-diddle", the mysterious cabal that invents the names decided it's getting too silly and stopped.
    – ojs
    Commented Jan 9, 2023 at 21:48

2 Answers 2


It sounds like you might be describing this sound:

I would describe this simply as "gradually open hi-hat" / "slowly open hi-hat"


It's just called "open hi-hat". And yes, it is often used as simple type of drum fill.

Here is a short lesson on how to play open hi-hat:

Open hi-hat is usually represented in notation by a small circle (o) above a regular hi-hat note. Closing the hi-hat is then represented with a small plus sign (+) above the note. Once the hi-hats are closed the plus sign is not written.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.