I recently got a bugle from an auction. I don’t know much about it but the part where the mouthpiece attaches looks like this. Could this affect the ability to play it?enter image description here

  • It looks normal at first glance. Could you be more specific about what concerns you?
    – Aaron
    Commented Jul 22, 2023 at 3:02
  • 1
    @Aaron I'd guess that it's the split visible in the inner layer of metal inside the tube.
    – phoog
    Commented Jul 22, 2023 at 14:14
  • Yes I thought maybe that split meant it was broken. It doesn’t seem to hold the trumpet mouthpiece I got very tight. Commented Jul 22, 2023 at 14:54
  • Where was the bugle made? What key is it in? I have a vague recollection that bugle mouthpieces are typically somewhat different from trumpet mouthpieces, but the extent to which this is true probably depends on what kind of bugle it is. Anyway, if air is leaking between the mouthpiece and the leadpipe then I suppose the answer to your question is "yes, it will affect the playability."
    – phoog
    Commented Jul 22, 2023 at 15:45
  • Thanks for the reply. I don’t know much about it, there’s no markings but I might have to try to find one in Better shape. I do know that the low note is G for the tuner. And I can play a little bit of C, E and G. I’ve never played trumpet before so that is probably why I can’t get any notes out. Do you know of anywhere to get a new one or a good used one that doesn’t cost too much? Commented Jul 22, 2023 at 16:43


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.