Intervals (relative to previous note):

Root , +1 , +3 , +1 , +2 , +1 , +3 , +1 (Root again)


A, Bb, C#, D, E, F, G#

This scale is used often in Turkish Music. But I don't know if it has a name in Western Music. Does it ?

  • This scale is known as the Phrygian Dominant scale. – Caleb Apr 22 '14 at 11:12
  • 2
    I've only seen Phrygian Dominant used to describe a mode of the harmonic minor scale starting on the 5th scale degree, which would only have a single augmented second in it, not two as in the question. – Pat Muchmore Apr 22 '14 at 13:12
  • @PatMuchmore exactly. However, this scale feels very similar to the harmonic minor scale. I think this is because of the major 7th. And I think this scale is occasionally used in western music too, by mixing with other minor scales, just like harmonic minor. – jeff Apr 24 '14 at 13:50
  • 1
    @CengizFrostclaw, Agreed. I would say that it's the augmented seconds that make the strongest connection to harmonic minor though. – Pat Muchmore Apr 24 '14 at 17:11

The technical term for the scale seems to be the Minor "Gypsy" Scale and it is also known as the Flamenco Mode.

The basic idea is it is a combination of two Phrygian Dominant tetrachords, or a Phrygian Dominant with a Major 7th scale degree.

Here are the links that show both scales match the pattern above and includes the root scale of it the Phrygian Dominant scale:

Minor Gypsy Scale

Flamenco Mode

Phrygian Dominant Scale

| improve this answer | |

Maqam Suzidil (not a very Western name, but if you try to understand Turkish music, this might get you somewhere) says this and some other sites. Looks like they (Arabic, Persian, Turkish) have an interesting way of classifying the scales by decomposing them into (usually) tetrachords which all have their own "personality". I didn't explore this much but Wikipedia gives some introduction.

| improve this answer | |

That scale is known as the Double Harmonic scale (at least that's the title of its Wikipedia page here).

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    This is also the name by which I know this scale, although it seems there are many alternative (equally valid) names. – Remy Jan 30 '18 at 6:38
  • +1 this is the name I've heard it called by most often. This video by 12-Tone does a great job explaining it: youtu.be/n7hSabSnCEg – user45266 Jan 27 '19 at 21:16

As an answer to this question : What is this scale? Possibly an Indian Raga

In Indian classical music, this scale is of Raag Bhairav in Hindustani classical music (central and northern India). It corresponds to Mayamalavagowla in Carnatic (south Indian) music.

| improve this answer | |

Double Harmonic. Hijaz Kar (Arabic). Suzidil (Turkish). Chromatic, as per Byzantine Liturgical practice. As someone else noted earlier, Rhaag Bhairav. That intervallic pattern, even if the exact intonation is different from tradition to tradition, is quite common.

| improve this answer | |

Closest I found was a Spanish Phrygian 1 - ♭2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - ♭6 - ♭7 - 1

only difference is the 7th degree...maybe your scale has accidental on the 7th

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.