Is just adding #5 a common practice? As in:

D Gb Bb C E G = D11#5

I've seen it also as D11+. Is there a more conventional way to notate this?

  • 4
    When in the key of D, you won't get Gb, it must be F# - it's in the key signature. To get a #5, you sharpen the 5th - which is A, so A#, not Bb. + or aug. or # are the common ways to indicate a note one semitone higher than it normally is.(or even a natural sign if the note is a flat).( Or even an x if the note is already a #). – Tim Dec 10 '13 at 8:45

If the chord were a simple triad - D F# A# - then this would be called D Aug (augumented). Adding the C would make it DAug7, adding the E would make it DAug9, and adding the G would make it DAug11. Sometimes the plus sign is used instead of Aug, so calling this D+11 (but not D11+) would be possible. Unfortunately, D+11 tends to give the impression that this is a D chord with an added 11th (but not 7th or 9th), so DAug11 would seem to be best.

  • Nice answer. In the D+11 case, you could also put the 11 in superscript, to avoid the +11 confusion. – Gauthier Dec 16 '13 at 15:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.