I've had a few suggestions as to an "official" name for this tuning, but what do you lot think?

From high e to bass...

e B F# C# G# D#

  • 2
    I've added the alternative-tunings tag to differentiate questions between the acting of tuning and actual alternative-tunings.
    – Anonymous
    Jan 15, 2011 at 23:56
  • 1
    It's really weird to list the strings high-to-low. This isn't Ancient Ionia! Oct 6, 2011 at 6:31

3 Answers 3


Usually you start with the low string, despite the fact that we begin counting strings with the high string, and this would be D# G# C# F# B E then, which would be very similar to Stanley Jordan's tuning, EADGCF, which is exactly like standard except the strings above the major third are sharpened. "All Fourths" would be a way to express it, but I don't think I've seen it said like that.

The good of it is that, for playing melodically, all the patterns are the same when you change strings, which isn't true of standard. The bad of it, of course, is that chords get all messed up.

  • 1
    I've heard "all fourths" for this type of tuning.
    – Dave
    Jan 22, 2013 at 19:59

A search of a chord dictionary throws up the the tuning to be an Emaj13 chord, so I suppose technically the name would be 'Open Emaj13.' Not particularly catchy though, and I don't think there is a real name for it, as far as I know. Sorry.


You can name this 'half of circle of fifths (starting on E)' as 'stacked-fourths on D#' tuning.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.