I read about the concept of an angled/oblique barre chord, where you use your index finger to play 2 different frets across different strings like so:

-4- 3rd
-2- 1st
-3- 1st
-4- 2nd
-4- 4th

(I am aware that this might be a nonsense chord, but I hope it gets the concept across)

The concept again appeared on the question Fingerstyle guitar - how to play this arpeggio? I looked around the net and found this forum post, but nothing on SE.

So, Does anyone have any practical experience/guides on how to use such a technique?

1 Answer 1


I think it's very hard to do on neighboring strings. I do use it occasionally between the low E and the high E (that's the easiest combination for me) when playing a major 7 chord in drop-3 voicing, with an additional major 7 on the high E string:

(from low E to high E):

5 X 6 6 5 4

where I use fingers

1 3 4 5 1

so there's an angled barre chord from the low E 5th fret to the high E 4th fret.

The chord you gave as an example - which by the way is perfectly fine, it's an Ab9sus4 - I would play with the following fingering

T 3 2 1 4

(where T is my thumb).

  • Did you know that it was an Ab9sus4 off the top of your head? Commented Mar 5, 2014 at 17:02
  • 1
    Yes, I'm into jazz harmony.
    – Matt L.
    Commented Mar 5, 2014 at 18:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.