What is the unit name of an area split by Bar Line(s) called ?

(See the red-circled area in below picture)

Amazing Grace

The translation from my native language to English results in Time Signature .

I feel that it's quite not right, but I don't know, maybe that just me.

This is the simple 1-sentence version of the question :

Fill in the blank : The area which is red-circled in above picture is called as 1 (one) ______________


The metrical unit you are referring to is called bar or measure.

The area which is red-circled in above picture is called as 1 (one) Bar or Measure

The bar lines break your notes into bars and are used to provide regular reference points to pinpoint locations within a piece of music.

  • 5
    Of possible note for a non-native English speaker is that American convention is to call it a 'measure', while British convention is to call it a 'bar'. We tend to understand each other's terminology though. – Matthew Walton Jun 16 '14 at 12:58

It's called one bar.That's why they're bar lines, they separate bars. The time signature at the beginning of a piece tells how many beats of which sort each bar will contain. As in this tune - 3/4 tells 3 of one beat note length. Sometimes called quarter beats - the Americans think a 'full' bar would have one long beat in it (a semibreve), so they call this 'three-quarter time' The usual bottom notes are crotchets (one beat or quarter) notes, and the top number tells how many fit into each bar. Where the first, and then subsequent, barlines go is usually defined by the louder or more stressed notes, or in this case, word/syllable. As in aMAzing GRACE, how SWEET the SOUND.

  • This give depths and widen the concept, I think it'll be useful to someone, so, +1 – Moses Aprico Jun 16 '14 at 8:18
  • +1 one for explaining what "time signature" actually means and for including both American and European nomenclature in your answer. – Kyle Strand Jun 16 '14 at 14:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.