I have Pioneer DJ mixer that weighs 17 lbs. along with an oddessey case that weighs 36 lbs.

And I want to dj for my cousin's wedding which is overseas but I'm not sure what would be a good way to bring the heavy music gear there.

One thought was to downgrade the mixer case to a mixer bag.

Any recommendation from experts musicians who carry heavy toolset overseas?

  • 1
    Is it possible to rent equipment in the country which you plan to play?
    – Kyle
    Commented Aug 1, 2014 at 12:25
  • Maybe you should ask this in the "travel" section, but anyway, I think that it depends on every airplane company. In some of them you can pay some extra charges to put them in a safe place, with other music instruments or bikes, pets etc... Otherwise, I have no idea. Commented Aug 1, 2014 at 13:22

2 Answers 2


I've never done this before -- my one time taking an instrument during travel, it was a POS acoustic I cared nearly nothing about -- but when I see musicians talk about short-trip travel, they tend to bring an instrument and a pedalboard and rent a back-line. I'd look into renting a DJ rig rather than travelling with your own.


You could rent the equipment rather than taking it on the plane. Check out https://www.sparkplug.it. It's an instrument rental marketplace where you can rent gear from another musician.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.