Recently, while listening to contemporary and pop music, I discovered that many song uses an I - V - i or i - V - I modulation. For example, C major to G major to C minor. I want to know whether there is a name for this particular modulation technique?


I would call it a parallel modulation, since you're modulating to a parallel key. Googling for that term confirmed that this is what they are called, and led me to this video:

  • 4
    Just want to add here that it is important to note the difference between modulation and progression. If this is a tonal region with a distinct shift to another tonal region, then we can consider it a modulation. If it merely passes through the chords described above, it is a progression and therefore should be though of a modal mixture as opposed to a parallel modulation. Sep 7 '14 at 15:18

Hardly a modulation, as it goes to major on the last bar, but a piece that's in minor for its entirety but finishes with a tonic major. That's called a Tierce de Picardie. The 'Picardy third'. In the dim and distant past, a lot of serious music used this as an ending, somewhat brightening things up.

Going from major to minor is, I think a lot less common.A couple of examples would be nice.

  • 1
    Picardy third is even "mandatory" in endings like Im/I7/IV/V7/I, since once you have heard the major 3rd in I7, ending with the minor tonic would sound "disappointing". For the major to minor progression, well you have a lot of them in Schubert pieces, including simple juxtaposition I/Im. It's a very effective way to come back to a dramatic minor part, symphonists in the 19th century use this a lot. I had been taught this under the name "minorization". Sep 6 '14 at 11:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.