I've been googling for the last 2 minutes and I just can't come up with anything that talks about "shots". Maybe this is a local Toronto term. Here's the definition as I understand it. A shot is when all members of the band accent a particular section note or group of notes. This can be done in unison or not. What is the proper term for this? Yes, I understand that you could call it an accent, but that's not how it would be said if you were playing in a band.

Here's an example (although it's not a super strong example):

(Beyonce - Love On Top @ 1:15)

  • 3
    I have heart "hits" used in a similar context. In rock its usually a riff.
    – charlie
    Sep 6 '14 at 23:53
  • Yeah, I've used that too, but I couldn't find anything on that either :(
    – 02fentym
    Sep 6 '14 at 23:54
  • 2
    "stab" is also related en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchestra_hit
    – charlie
    Sep 7 '14 at 0:03
  • 1
    Awesome...thanks so much. Perhaps, you should copy your answer in the answer section so I can checkmark your answer.
    – 02fentym
    Sep 7 '14 at 0:05

Try "hits". I looked up "orchestra hits" for a more specific answer, as searching Google for just hits in a music context will often lead to "greatest hits."

"Stab" is also related: "Orchestra hit" on Wikipedia

  • I wonder if it's a Euro/US breakdown. 'Stab' is the term I've heard in the UK.
    – Chris
    Sep 7 '14 at 19:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.