I have never seen a bass belt strap like this:

enter image description here enter image description here

My guess would be that it is kind of safer than the normal strap, but I'm not sure

Can I use a normal belt? Do I need some kind of special belt?

  • Here are some more pics: Dropbox Commented Dec 18, 2014 at 16:45
  • 1
    A lot of them are designed so an ordinary strap will still fit. Guitar and bass use the same thing. Some tie-clips from the past used the same sort of mechanism.
    – Tim
    Commented Dec 18, 2014 at 18:25
  • In fact, a traditional [I mean really old style] clip-on beer bottle top rubber surround is almost as good. Grolsch used that old-style bottle for quite some time, all my other guitars have the 'rubber ring' strap lock - one free with every beer ;)
    – Tetsujin
    Commented Dec 18, 2014 at 18:35

1 Answer 1


It's a strap-lock, unfortunately without the corresponding locking part.

enter image description here

Mine on my old Rikki are Schaller, same as this, though no doubt there are other makers.

From comments, a Grolsch beer bottle 'rubber washer' from their old-fashioned bottle tops makes a great free substitute
enter image description here

enter image description here

  • The images in the question are rather poor, but they don't seem to be the classic Schaller's you've posted. But it's definitely some system like it. Commented Dec 18, 2014 at 18:25
  • 2
    They do look like a 'copy' yes, without the chamfered edge. Mine are definitely the ones in the picture above. (I've had them 30 years & the strap never came off without me telling it to;) Functionally the same, I'd guess - but unlikely to be interchangeable.
    – Tetsujin
    Commented Dec 18, 2014 at 18:32
  • Can I buy just the top part of a new one? Or a whole new one and just replace the top part? Commented Dec 19, 2014 at 8:46
  • Also, I use a normal belt, right? Commented Dec 19, 2014 at 8:49
  • You'd have to figure out what make it is - yours doesn't look interchangeable with the Schaller. I haven't looked, but my guess would be they all come as a complete kit. It's only a case of unscrewing one pair of buttons & screwing in the other; even if the threads don't quite match, either re-using the old screws, or a bit of wood filler would sort it. I actually had zero difficulty when I swapped mine, all those years ago.
    – Tetsujin
    Commented Dec 19, 2014 at 8:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.