Can someone please tell me what the little notes (4 bars after C) are called?

  • Karelia Suite, right?
    – PLL
    Feb 17, 2015 at 15:47

2 Answers 2


These are called "cues" and they show you what other instruments are playing while you have rests. They are normally placed right before an entrance, particularly after a long section of not playing, so that you can be sure of when to come in.

"Tromb. e Tuba" means that these notes are being played by the trombone and tuba. (The markings in this music are in Italian.)


They're cue notes. Notice the "Tromb.e Tuba" below them, indicating that the trombones and tuba(s) are playing those. It's there to reassure you that you've counted the rests properly.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.