I have a sustain pedal for my keyboard. My references are talking about compressor pedals, otherwise known as sustainer pedals?

Is the sustainer pedal just the same as a sustain pedal but used for guitars, or as just a more advanced alternative for both a guitar and a keyboard?

1 Answer 1


No. A sustain pedal is a simple switch with a piece of cable attached that the keyboard uses to emulate the function of the sustain pedal on the piano - which basically means "let ring the notes when the pedal is depressed even if you lift your fingers off the keys".

A sustainer pedal is a compressor, which is a thing that that limits the dynamic range of the audio signal - it's a caps lock for audio. Loud is loud and soft is loud as well.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.