Eight seconds into this song, there is what I think is an electric guitar. Does anyone know how to produce that sound? Is it even an electric guitar?

  • 3
    this question clearly has a definitive answer. Does not look to broad to me.
    – Neil Meyer
    Commented Jul 30, 2015 at 8:30

3 Answers 3


This effect is called volume swell. It's achieved by fading in notes using your volume knob or a volume pedal.

  • 1
    You beat me to it was just about to post the same.
    – Neil Meyer
    Commented Jul 30, 2015 at 8:29
  • 2
    Just to be clear, it is an electric guitar, played with volume swells. And there's a touch of feedback, delay, and reverb. Commented Jul 30, 2015 at 11:25

Just a bit more info on cyco130's answer : 'Tis indeed a volume swell effect, and is an electric guitar.

The technique is to pluck the note with the volume turned down, then bring the volume in - either via a volume pedal or using the volume control on the guitar.

Some guitars make this easier because the volume control is easily reachable from where your hand would be when playing. A Fender Stratocaster is the classic example: it's easy to pluck a string then turn the volume up. Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits used this to good effect.

There are also effects which do this automatically. They detect when you have strick a note, and fade the sound in for you with settable speed - of- volume - increase.

If you'd like a cheap-but-effective example, the Zoom 505ii pedal has this built-in.


Sounds like either a guitar with volume swells, or a electric keyboard. In my experiences sounds more like a keyboard. Or some kind of synth sound (coming from a keyboard)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.