I was reading this question and this question, both of which discuss the parts that are often present in a piece of music as it progresses from beginning to end.

The question I wanted to ask is about the "layers" that can be present in a musical piece from the beginning to the end. For example many pop songs have a (often, some repeating drum) beat in the background and vocals more on the foreground.

  1. Is there a proper term for these layers?
  2. Is there a "typical set" of these layers that would commonly be present in pop songs?

1 Answer 1


What you call "layers," the rest of the music world calls "arrangement." And yes, genres of music are built around distinct commonalities of arrangement.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.