I love the sound of the Seymour Duncan Firebird pickups, but I can't work out what type of guitar I could fit them in without having a massive headache. I'd love to get these into an SG body, but I fear it would be a lot of effort that I'm not equipped for!

  • Well, what kind of effort are you up for? Milling out the cavity to fit the pickups is about the only really tough job. If the pickups fit, there are plenty of ways to bond them in or drill new anchor holes, etc. Aug 27, 2015 at 11:18
  • 1
    If by "firebird pickups" you just mean "mini humbuckers", then you can buy cheap adapter rings for many humbucker-equipped guitars (SGs included).
    – jonrsharpe
    Aug 27, 2015 at 12:33
  • @jonrsharpe I think your comment is the answer and should be an answer. Aug 27, 2015 at 22:24

1 Answer 1


The pickups in the classic Gibson Firebird are known as "mini-humbuckers". You can buy adapters to replace the full-size humbucker mounting rings used by many guitars, including most SGs, that will allow a mini-humbucker to be used instead. As this just screws to the top of the guitar in place of the previous ring, it's a reversible operation that won't cause damage.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.