Hi today I have received audition music for a band for next year but I have a question about some of the notes in the music. They looks like semi-quavers (16th notes) but they have a space in the middle of them like a minim (Half note). Here is an image of it:


Can you please tell me what these are?


1 Answer 1


Those are tremolos. You oscillate between the two beamed notes as fast as the beams tell you for the duration of the notehead. In effect the passage you photographed will sound like constant 16th notes (semi-quavers) that last the duration of a half note (minim).

  • 6
    Actually the correct term is "tremolo", not "trill". A "trill" is something different and unrelated.
    – user1044
    Nov 5, 2015 at 6:55

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.