I'm an absolute beginner and I'm planning to buy a Yamaha Pacifica 611HFM. At the moment I have no idea what else I need in order to start playing the guitar. Could anyone give some suggestions on gear I would need?
Here are a few things you might want to get for an electric guitar in addition to what Jamie Brace listed.
- A basic string winder (around $2.00 US) to make it easier to change your strings when needed.
- A guitar strap. I recommend a good one. To learn more about why this is important read this - Playing Guitar Standing. There are a few paragraphs in that answer that discuss why it is important to use a strap when playing an electric guitar (vs acoustic) either standing or seated. There is also a paragraph about what type of straps might work best for most people.
- A capo. As a beginning guitarist, you may find a capo very helpful for many reasons. For an in depth discussion of how you might benefit from using a capo, read this - Why a beginning guitarist should have a capo
- A Headphone Guitar Amplifier. You mentioned not wanting to disturb your neighbors while practicing. You can certainly practice unplugged, but you will lose all the cool sounds that can be achieved from the electronics on your guitar. If the amp you ordered does not have a headphone jack (many do), you might want to get a headphone guitar amplifier like this - Headphone Amplifier
Learning to play guitar is a lifelong journey. Every day offers a new opportunity to improve your chops. Enjoy your journey as you work towards becoming an increasingly more accomplished guitarist.
I'll list some basics for you, but your best bet would be to find a guitar teacher who can explain everything in detail for you.
- a guitar
- an amplifier
- tuner (whether it's a pedal or a clip on, it's essential)
- picks (more than just 1, as many as possible of a size and thickness you prefer)
- 1/4" jack cable/s
- spare strings
- tutorials, lessons, teacher, anything you can use to start and improve