I've heard this in two songs over the years: deep, slow drum beats that sound like a heart beating. Is there a word for this unusual sound?

  • Not that I'm aware of I do know depending where you pop your snare at it can be a syncopated math metal beat
    – Stixx
    Apr 13, 2016 at 1:11

1 Answer 1


It's called a "thump." It can be made by timpani and bass drums. The term is also used to describe actual heartbeats as well as a technique for playing bass guitars.

There could be terms in other languages that relate the connotation better - certain cultures would name the instruments themselves after the sound they make; the Djun-djun, for example.

Short of making up a word (which I'm all for :), I believe that's the term we're stuck with in the English language...

  • I should add that there is probably some sort of muting technique that the drummers are using to obtain the exact sound you're hearing. Aug 29, 2016 at 22:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.