In my music (Trombone/Baritone), I see an apostrophe on top of a few notes. What does this mean?

picture of notes with mark

  • My bet right now is that it's an alternate or poorly-typeset staccatissimo, but without finding another example with explanation it's just a guess. Commented Apr 1, 2016 at 18:42
  • I've found a few other examples that look like that in a google image search but without the ability to zoom in so close and be sure in any of them (low res images). Commented Apr 1, 2016 at 18:46

1 Answer 1


It is called staccatissimo or wedge. The note is sustained for one quarter the written length, the remaining three quarters being silent. As commented by Matt these durations are open to interpretation by the performer.

  • 6
    Yes, it's a staccatissimo, but it's not correct to say rigidly that it's 1/4 length. The exact length is always a matter of style.
    – MattPutnam
    Commented Apr 1, 2016 at 19:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.