My brother has this keyboard that feels great to play, but only has one decent tone. Its only outputs are a 1/8 inch headphone jack OR midi, which got me wondering if there were any hardware units built for midi->tone library processed out to 1/4 inch for a PA.

What are some options for adding a tone library to the output?

Are there standalone units? Is there computer software that would make switching tones easy in a live situation?


Having an actual MIDI output (instead of USB MIDI) is a good thing, because this allows you to connect devices without a PC inbetween.

Rack-mount modules (e.g., Motif-Rack XS, Integra-7) are large, and correspondingly costly, but there are also "desktop" modules, such as the Mobile Studio Canvas. It might be cheaper to buy some used, discontinued model (e.g., SD-20/50/80, SC-8820/8850, SC-88(Pro), MU500/1000/2000).

Using a PC/laptop is always possible (with suitable software), and switching tones through MIDI will work if your keyboard has the controls for that. However, even with a good sound device (that has good drivers), latency can never be as low as with a hardware module (whether the difference matters for you is another question). Furthermore, a general-purpose machine always will have software/configuration problems, and might not be available when you feel like jamming.

|improve this answer|||||
  • Also, don't worry about the size of the audio connectors. A domestic keyboard may have 1/8" jacks, more professional gear may use 1/4" jacks or XLRs. But they'll all connect perfectly well to a mixer, with a suitable cable. – Laurence Payne Apr 10 '16 at 17:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.