I see on some violins there is something on the A and E strings between the tail peace and the bridge.

What is it called and what does it do?

Mystery object

I found a similar thing on the violins of the soloist in these videos. I don't know if these are different from the picture above:

(look at 4:20):

This one is only on the D string:

Here everybody has it on their instrument, violin, viola, cello (look at 7:59):


It's a damper, or mute, like this one here

When you wish to mute the sound of the instrument you slide it near to the bridge in order to dampen the bridge vibrations.

| improve this answer | |
  • Is that the same as the sort of comb I used to use to put on the bridge? Maybe a modern version? – Tim Apr 18 '16 at 17:20
  • The purpose is the same, but with an alternative design. I don't play the violin myself but I have heard people complaining that this type of mute tends to ruin the strings. – José David Apr 18 '16 at 17:33
  • 1
    @Tim it's only the same in that they both mute the sound. The resulting timbre varies a lot depending on what kind of mute you use and what material (rubber vs wood) in the case of "comb" mutes. – Carl Witthoft Apr 18 '16 at 18:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.