I've seen so many people add something made of plastic in the sound hole of a guitar, but I don't know what it's called. So what is this and why do they use it?

  • 2
    Shouldn't it be "a piece of plastic" or "a plastic thing" or something similar. "A plastic" doesn't sound right to me and leaves me hanging May 6, 2016 at 23:09

1 Answer 1


I can think of two different things.

First, a "sound-hole pickup", a device that allows you to mount magnetic pickups onto/into a guitar so that it can be amplified without using a microphone.

enter image description here

Second, feedback suppressor -- a device that dampens the resonance of the guitar so that it does not feed back when being played at high volumes. Sometimes these are just called "soundhole plug" or "soundhole damper" or "guitar damper" etc.

enter image description here

  • I think you covered all the possibilities. Like the pictures. Plus 1! May 6, 2016 at 20:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.