I really love this type of sound, and quiet solos, what is it called this style?

When I type jazz guitar, I usually get something that sounds like elevator music.

I would love to know how to get started playing this type of guitar as well, is it electric?

I have classical guitar training for less than a year...but that video is what I would like to aim for.

thanks again!

1 Answer 1


Essentially, chord-melody playing. One usually harmonizes (or re-harmonizes) all the melody notes (or at least most of 'em) so that a chord is formed for each. Very demanding; one not only needs a good grounding in theory but also in chord structure, inversions, substitutions, and so forth. Usually played fingerstyle.... Joe Pass was a master.

There are a number of dedicated forums for the style.

I had a couple of this guy's books:


They are an excellent primer on the style if you can find 'em.

  • Good luck. This is the most demanding and difficult technique in guitar playing.
    – user1044
    Commented Dec 29, 2011 at 0:56
  • Just a few names for you to look for - Joe Pass already got a mention, but Barney Kessel, Howard Roberts, Herb Ellis, Tal Farlow, Toots Thielmans, Martin Taylor are all worth a listen. To be honest, the monster guitarist in this style was Julian Bream, but his jazz recordings are hard to find - the classical stuff swamps any web search you make.
    – klypos
    Commented Jul 18, 2012 at 23:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.