Is there a term for when the melody repeats with the exact same notes (pitch and rhythm), but the harmony changes from under it?

There are examples throughout music, but I just watched some Doctor Who last night, so I'll point to the very beginning of the 11th Doctor's theme (no spoilers, this is music only):

1 Answer 1


The term for the technique is called reharmonization and it is a very powerful composition tool. You have many, many options at your disposal when writing a harmony to go with your melody and they all give the passage a different feel and can color it quite differently. It's one of the many ways you can present familiar material like a set melody in many different lights and moods.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.