I found myself telling someone to accent "the & of 3". This just seems a really awkward way of wording it, but I don't know a better way. Beat 3 and half or the 6th 8th note sound even worse.

Is there proper terminology for the positions between the beats?

2 Answers 2


"The & of 3" is proper terminology and is very specifically tied to how you would count out the music. A very similar alternative you could say is "the offbeat of 3" which means the same exact thing as "the & of 3". You could also say the following, but they are much more wordy:

  • Halfway between 3 and 4
  • An eighth note after 3
  • In conducting, the upbeat is the last beat of a bar. Bars have upbeats but beats themselves don't. For this reason I don't agree that "the upbeat of 3" does mean the same as "the & of 3". But I think the other explanations you gave are fine. Sep 22, 2016 at 16:25
  • @BrianTHOMAS good catch. I actually ment the offbeat of 3. Will fix now.
    – Dom
    Sep 22, 2016 at 16:33
  • "3 and" or "and before 4" would be the most intuitive for me. Sep 8, 2020 at 21:54

This is part of a pretty common set of terminologies used to communicate sub-beat patterns. These are, for the case of X/4 time sigs:

a) quarter notes: one, two, three,... b) eighth notes: one-and, two-and, three-and c) triplets: one-and-ah, two-and-ah d) sixteenths one-eee-and-ah, two-eee-and-ah, e) quintuplets: you're on your own :-)

For any of these patterns, the composer may have indicated emphasis on one or more of the on- and off- beat notes.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.