I am currently researching the graphs of various instruments as part of a school project and am trying to figure out which instruments produce which wave forms.

I have read the answers to a similar question entitled "Examples of acoustic instruments producing sounds very close to pure square, triangle or sawtooth waves". However, it appears to me that no one gave an example for the triangle wave form. Any ideas?

marked as duplicate by Dave, Doktor Mayhem Oct 3 '16 at 7:37

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • 3
    I think OP sufficiently explains why this is not a duplicate. – Richard Oct 2 '16 at 23:27
  • That linked question does include triangle wave sources. Closing as dupe. – Doktor Mayhem Oct 3 '16 at 7:37

A triangle wave is the most similar to a sine wave that the majority of analog synths can get (not counting filter used as an oscillator), and a triangle can be made even closer to a sine using a filter. Lip reed and whistle woodwinds like flute, piccolo, tin whistle, and recorder are fairly close to sine waves.

If I were working on a flute patch I'd start by filtering a single triangle wave and then add a bit of noise to it for the breath sound.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.