I remember seeing a video of a kind of novelty keyboard instrument being played. Besides functioning as a normal piano/organ (I don't remember which), there were also keys that could be pressed to play all sorts of bells and whistles (physical objects— this wasn't electronic sampling or anything like that), which I think were in a kind of cage to the side of the keyboard. Does anyone know the name of this instrument?

  • Sounds like one of those one-man-band custom, novelty-jobs... Assuming you don't have an image or link to the video that you reference? Commented Oct 16, 2016 at 14:08

1 Answer 1


It is a photoplayer -- a player piano with additional bells, whistles, percussion etc. frequently used to accompany silent films (hence the name).

Video of a photoplayer in action.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.