I am curious about the klezmer scale. I mean exactly the half, 1.5, and the half note series gives the mood. What about doubling this 4 note series in an octave? Does it have a name? I mean for example:

E , F, G#, A, B, C, D#, E

I know an oriental piece in my mind written on these order.


1 Answer 1


It does have a name and it is know as the E double harmonic major scale. The reason it sounds exotic and foreign is due to the Augmented step between the 2nd and 3rd and 6th and 7th.

The scale pattern in general is:

H - A - H - W - H - A - H  

Which applied to C would be

C - D♭ - E - F - G - A♭ - B

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.