Say I have a piano partition, with 1 measure/bar. How can I call the right hand staff measure and the left hand staff measure ? Is there a word to make the distinction between the two hands measure together and each one individually ?

I'm not being pedantic here :p I need to know for a personal project and I'd prefer having the right term than just "right hand measure".


Upper stave/Lower stave. Treble stave/Bass stave.

| improve this answer | |
  • Yes, indeed you may call them upper stave and lower stave. Treble stave and bass stave will often do, but won't do where the two staves use the same clef. – Rosie F Nov 15 '16 at 19:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.