Can anybody tell me what this sign is called ? I thought it was a mordent, but why isn't it written above the lines, why is it so short? Do you know any theory page on it? enter image description here

  • I assume it is an articulation rather as an ornament. While it seems, that it is covered by Unicode as Stroke-2, no explanation is found there.
    – guidot
    Commented Nov 21, 2016 at 9:46
  • 1
    thanks for answering. But shouldn't articulations be written above or below the note (and not next to it) ? Commented Nov 21, 2016 at 10:31
  • 1
    @froggynathy A lot of jazz articulations are written next to the note- for example, falls, bends, doits, shakes. They make more sense there, because the symbol is a visual representation of how you play the start/end of the note.
    – endorph
    Commented Nov 22, 2016 at 0:09

1 Answer 1


It's a turn, apparently sometimes called a 'flip':


Source: http://www.timusic.net/wp-content/uploads/jazz+artikulation.pdf, Page 6.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.