In a music sheet, how could I write down "play this line OR this line, as you like".

The reason is that if the player is skilled, they will choose to play the first line, but if not, they will prefer the second one.

Is there any defined way to write that? Any specific symbols? A convention?

  • This is a completely off-topic comment, but since you seem so keen on not misgendering the player you can always use "they" which is the most common gender-neutral pronoun. It's just friendly advice. – Francisco José Letterio Mar 29 '18 at 14:14

That is called an "Ossia", it is a musical term for "alternatively". Which means the player can either play the alternative passage or the original passage. The Ossia is frequently used in Liszt's pieces. The Urtext for Balakirev's Islamey also contains many alternative passages.

Here is an example of an Ossia notation in Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No.6 in Db Major.

enter image description here

An Ossia passage could sometimes be notated only for one clef like in the example. Although I'm not sure if you could change the use of the sustain pedal in the alternative passage, it's better to ask a professional or a teacher. Or someone who might know.

| improve this answer | |
  • 8
    While the accepted answer is correct, this is the better answer since it actually shows what an ossia looks like. – SQB Dec 8 '16 at 9:23
  • The ossia is usually a simplified version of the original, in that it contains fewer notes, so will be easier to play, without losing much substance. Although sometimes it's just a slight variation. As such, the pedalling will be exactly the same - assuming the player can pedal correctly, it will work just as well as the original. – Tim Dec 8 '16 at 10:17
  • So we can't change pedal instructions in the Ossia passage? – Isaac Yang Hao Tung Dec 8 '16 at 12:13
  • it's also used in Holst's music quite a bit... (e.g. St Paul's Suite) – dalearn Dec 8 '16 at 13:59
  • I saw quite a few in his St.Paul's Suite. – Isaac Yang Hao Tung Dec 8 '16 at 14:09

This is called an Ossia. It's an extra line of music that floats over the music.

| improve this answer | |
  • or under if the notes are really high... – dalearn Dec 8 '16 at 14:00
  • @dalearn What do you mean? – Karlo Mar 29 '18 at 17:25
  • 1
    @Karlo If the notes are well above the staff it is common to put the Ossia below the notes. Think some violin music where the Ossia is down an octave from the notes written. – dalearn Mar 29 '18 at 17:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.