I absolutely love the blue-sy transition in this song (seconds 4-5). It's kind of like overshooting a note and coming back to it with some blues notes mixed in (bear with me, my technical knowledge here is ZERO). I can't really figure out what's going on, though. I mean, I can play the same melody/basic notes that the keyboardist is playing (one key at a time), and it doesn't sound the same. They seem to be doing multiple notes at a time for each step along the transition, or something.

Anyways, I've heard this kind of transition in a lot of electric piano type music from the 90s especially, and I love it. I'd love to learn it; to figure out what's going on. But I don't even know what to search for.

Is there a name for this type of transition? Also, what is going on in it? Any ideas where I can watch/read more about this type of transition?

1 Answer 1


It is the blue notes! They are usually thought of as 1, b3, 4, b5, 5, b7.Here in Dm, moving to G maj., the flourish is A, Ab, G, F, D, I think

  • Thanks Tim! I can reproduce the "tune" so to speak, but if all I do is play the single notes A then Ab, then G, F, D...it doesn't sound the same. I mean: they're not just playing single notes at a time, they're playing multiple notes at a time. I'm wondering as a whole what needs to be put together to re-create that--not just the main melody line. :-) Because the "melody" of it is great, and bluesy, but really the whole package is what gives it such a great feel.
    – Pete
    Jan 13, 2017 at 20:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.