Is it still considered a cadence? For example a 1,6,4,b5,1 progression in c major, it might sound wacky but i am just curious if there is a term for it. Also are there cadences for the 2,3,6,7 chords of a key?

  • Cadences generally consist of the last two chords, very occasionally they may need the one before. It doesn't matter what key a cadence is in (you mention C, but they're all the same). Otherwise it's an interesting question. – Tim Feb 7 '17 at 8:05
  • I don't understand how a I chord (the end chord in the example) is non diatonic. – Todd Wilcox Feb 7 '17 at 8:48
  • @ToddWilcox - I think the OP means the cadence itself, ending as ever with a diatonic, but the penultimate chord being non-diatonic. bV>I may have some tts about it. I sometimes use #V>I, and guess it will have been named. It's what we do! – Tim Feb 7 '17 at 11:19
  • The only tonal cadence I'm aware of that ends with motion by tritone (which is b5 -> 1) would be half-cadence with a Neopolitan 6th chord, which IMO sounds pretty cool. – John Wu Mar 16 '17 at 9:15

This is only a partial answer, as I don't know a term for the b5-I sequence.

As to your second question, there is an answer of sorts: any sequence that ends V or V7-x, where x is anything other than I, is called a Deceptive Cadence, especially in the case of V-vi. A V-ii cadence would sound a wee bit odd, but would still be considered Deceptive, and likewise for the last example you gave, though I must say I hope hope hope I NEVER hear a V-viio sequence!

  • I wonder if "deceptive cadence" is new (or locale-specific). Forty years ago in the UK, this was called an interrupted cadence, most often V-vi, but can apply to any unexpected resolution. – Andrew Leach Feb 9 '17 at 12:08
  • Well, it was in most music theory books back in the 1950s, and they called it that at Juilliard when I went there in the late 1960s, but perhaps it has become obsolete or archaic. But that's what I've always called it, and it's what I've always heard it called. – L3B Feb 9 '17 at 14:28
  • @AndrewLeach There is a considerable difference between American and British terminology in music theory. Unfortunately (for the British) the American system is more widely used. Deceptive cadence is simply the American term. – 11684 Feb 13 '17 at 9:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.