I am doing an Essay about careers we want to be and I am writing about being a musician. I had a question that I could not find anywhere on the internet: What type of degrees there are in music? I am writing about being an orchestra musician (I say this because there might be a different set of degrees you can achieve in college). What degrees there are how to get them and if you have time maybe the pay of that degree. The instrument I would like to play is: the trombone (also might be serpent

2 Answers 2


For performance, you can get a Bachelor of Arts in performance, or you can get a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in performance. The former is more general, the latter is more rigorous. At the master's level you can get a MA or an MFA. At the doctorate level you could get a Ph.D. or a DMA (doctor of musical arts).

There are also degrees in music education, music therapy, music theory, musicology, and music history, to name a few.


To an extent it's dependent on where you are in the world. Having a degree in music is not the key to becoming a member of an orchestra. It's probably far more about being known as a good player, good team member, reliable, knowing a fair bit of theory, good reading skills, experience, etc. All of which you won't get from 3 or 4 years at Uni. Although in U.K. degree exams can be taken without resorting to attending uni., but a great teacher is pretty well essential.

Looking for degree courses - there are plenty in U.K., but I suspect you're not from there. A good start is most likely find a teacher, try some exams,(not degree level!) and practise, practise, practise.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.