In another part of the composition mentioned here, I want to use the sostenuto pedal:

sustain pedal

How can I notate this?


If this is an American made piano, the notation S.P. is possible (Sostenuto Pedal).

On some Eurpoean pianos, this effect is achieved by a half-pedal technique. One depresses the notes to be held and then depresses the right (damper) pedal halfway down.

  • This is an American pedal. Perfect! : )
    – Nobody
    Mar 28 '17 at 23:46
  • 3
    It doesn't matter whether the instrument has a sostenuto pedal or not - the notation is to show the effect required, not the method of playing it.
    – user19146
    Mar 29 '17 at 2:43
  • 1
    You can still write S.P. A player who finds himself at a piano lacking the Sostenuto pedal will recognise the intention and produce the effect as best he can. Dec 2 '18 at 14:21
  • @LaurencePayne - can't think of an effective way in which to achieve the 'sos' - half pedal on sustain isn't really the same. How would you do it?
    – Tim
    Dec 2 '18 at 14:35
  • I have no better suggestion than the one @ttw mentions in his reply. Dec 2 '18 at 20:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.