Today I was playing a piece of guitar music, and found this on the staff (inside a red circle):

enter image description here

What is the name of it and what does it do?


As always, I recommend bookmarking dolmetsch .


caesura (sing.), caesurae (pl.), fetura, 'tramlines', or 'railroad tracks: usually placed on or above the top line of a staff or stave (not to be confused with the 'simile' mark). A term derived from poetry, caesura is a silent pause somewhere in the middle of a piece of music

  • In other words this shows you like to take a breath. – Nachmen Jun 6 '17 at 20:21
  • 1
    @Nachmen not really. A caesura is a major break; a simple "breath" or quick pause is usually marked with an apostrophe. – Carl Witthoft Jun 7 '17 at 11:31

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.