Have you got any suggestions about software that can recognize a rhythmic figure after I tapped it on a keyboard? If Logic Pro X can do it, that would be PERFECT. I mean after I tapped on spacebar or any other key it displays the rhythmic notation (that I tapped of course) on my screen.

PS. I don't have a MIDI-controller.

  • I don't know if it's possible in Logic but some DAW lets you record keyboard input as MIDI. When that is done you can quantize your recording to get the closest rhythmic figure. – Joulin Nicolas Jun 13 '17 at 10:44
  • @JoulinNicolas Maybe Sibelius lets? – Eugen Eray Jun 13 '17 at 10:48
  • I don't think so but don't quote me on that. As far as I know it's possible with FL studio. I can only assume that it could be possible on other software. this link might be a good start to do what you want on Logic. – Joulin Nicolas Jun 13 '17 at 10:53
  • @JoulinNicolas Thanks, man! That's what I need! – Eugen Eray Jun 13 '17 at 11:07
  • Do you just want the timings of the keypresses, or do you want to be able to represent the time the key was held down? – Carl Witthoft Jun 13 '17 at 11:27

Found a solution in Logic Pro X. Here are some steps:

Step 1:

Create a software instrument track.

Step 2:

Change the default piano to drum set.

Step 3:

Press CMD + K to open a virtual MIDI-keyboard.

Step 4:

Click R button or red circle on the top panel in the middle and tap your rhythm pattern as accurate as you can.

Step 5:

Export this pattern as MIDI file.

Step 5:

Open this MIDI in Sibelius (or other tab editor) and you'll get the approximate rhythm pattern that you need.
| improve this answer | |
  • Logic Pro itself has a score view. No need to get a score editor involved. – Todd Wilcox Jun 13 '17 at 14:03
  • @ToddWilcox Yes, you're right. You can update this answer if you want. – Eugen Eray Jun 13 '17 at 14:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.