I'm not certain whether it's just certain piano manufacturers, who had decided to have some upright pianos to have two pedals (without sostenuto). Some Zender acoustic pianos, for instance have two pedals. Then other brands like Kawai, had a few pianos with 2 pedals while most of their models have 3.


As you may be aware, most, if not all studio/acoustic pianos have minimum two pedals - the soft, or una corda pedal, and the sustain, or damper pedal.

The third pedal (in the middle) found on some pianos, is a practice pedal, which locks in position. Usually this involves bringing a curtain in place between the hammers and the strings, to make it very quiet, even when played hard, in order to be able to practise without disturbing too many others.

On other pianos, the middle pedal is dedicated to sotenuto, whereby it holds the dampers off only the strings that are vibrating, and their keys pressed down, at the time the pedal is depressed - a sort of sustain for individual notes only.

Obviously, a sostenuto pedal will add to the cost of an acoustic piano, and will usually be used by more advanced players. They can be found on uprights, but are more common on grands. So the answer to your question is that most players won't use the sostenuto - it isn't marked in a lot of pieces - so far more 'ordinary' uprights will be marketable.

  • Are you sure? I've only ever seen the curtain between the hammers and strings instead of the traditional (and more aptly named) una corda pedal, because it's more expensive or more difficult to have the whole keyboard move slightly to one side. The cheapest pedal arrangements I've seen have omitted sostenuto and replaced actual una corda with the felt curtain (obviously on uprights). I've never seen una corda and the curtain on the same piano. – Todd Wilcox Jul 21 '17 at 11:25
  • @ToddWilcox - I use one in my studio - it's a Yamaha harp in a Steigerman case. The una corda pedal merely moves all the hammers closer to the strings, just as on every upright I've ever played. Mine has a curtain about 3" high that swings into place using the middle pedal. Una corda so called because it slides the hammers to one side (on grands) so they only hit one string rather than the 2 or 3. – Tim Jul 21 '17 at 11:37
  • I've never seen the mute strip on a grand piano. I've never seen a true 'una corda' on an upright. – Laurence Payne Jul 21 '17 at 11:47
  • 1
    @LaurencePayne - that's probably because grands don't need mute strips, difficult to achieve on grands; and 'una corda' is only technically correct on grands - a.k.a. soft pedal on studios. And actually, I'm talking about uprights - maybe the OP means grands... – Tim Jul 21 '17 at 12:02
  • @Tim yeah the digital tag was an accident haha. Anyway, your statement, that uprights with 2 pedals are marketable, makes sense. But nowadays, correct me if I'm wrong, that upright acoustic pianos with 3 pedals seem to be more commercial and prominent in stores than the ones with 2. – Liberty Park Jul 21 '17 at 16:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.