I get the feeling it's a combination of rolling off the treble and octave pedal but I'm not entirely sure and figure someone else out there would be much more informed than I am on this kind of thing.

1 Answer 1


That's an Envelope Follower or Envelope Filter. Probably an Auto-Wah.

These pedals basically make a smoothed-curve signal using the (high-)frequency (or amplitude after a band-pass) of the input signal, and then use that as a control parameter, usually for tone/eq/compression attack etc.

For modern pedal simulator software, a single envelope follower can be assigned to multiple parameters on multiple effects: such as simulating a univibe by adjusting wet/dry Dopler Speaker, auto-wah intensity, and phaser modulation speed all at once based on how loud the input signal is.

See, for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Envelope_detector

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.