This question already has an answer here:

I have come across a scale which to me sounds very Indian. I thought perhaps it was some sort of Raga, however I can't identify which one. Its "key signature" is two sharps and two flats:


I've been playing with this scale for a few years, and can't remember where I got it from.

marked as duplicate by Community Aug 1 '17 at 7:39

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • 1
    @jdjazz Yep, it's a duplicate. In my defence, it's difficult to find which scale you're looking for when the questions are all titled "what is this scale?" and may not necessarily be in the same key. Shall I close it? – Aric Aug 1 '17 at 7:39

This scale is refered to by many names, but the preferred term is double harmonic major. It is the near neighbor of a lot of commonly-used scales, like the phrygian dominant mode (of the harmonic minor scale), the h-w diminished scale, and the altered scale. Unlike those scales, the double harmonic major has the b2, the nat5, and the nat7, making it particularly well-adapted to root motions typical of functional harmony.

  • Why accept the answer but not upvote it? – Tim Jul 31 '17 at 13:36
  • A great Lando Calrissian quote comes to mind: "I don't like it. I don't agree with it. But I accept it" – user45266 Jan 30 at 4:54

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.