enter image description here

This is the accompaniment piece for a clarinet solo and I do not know how to play this measure.


It looks like a tremolo. It is played as a oscillation between the top two notes (I'm guessing a A and a D) and the lower note (I'm guessing an F). The dotted half-note (written on each stem) indicates either 3 quarter-note beats or 6 eighth-note beats (or the equivalent); the 6 eighth notes in the other staff probably mean the latter. The three lines connecting the upper notes mean to (approximately) play the oscillation as thirty-second notes. On a keyboard (which this looks like it's from) this gives a shimmering effect to the chords. It's a bit like a trill but with larger intervals and more notes.

  • Good answer, but the time is almost certainly 6/8, which means two beats of dotted minims/half-notes. – Brian Chandler Aug 17 '17 at 17:32

It's a tremolo, which for a pianist means to alternate very rapidly between the two notes/chords. Here's a video that shows you how to do it.


Ok, I could not leave it.

those answers are usually called community wiki aren't they?

enter image description here

thanks to @BrianChandler and @AlexanderWoo

  • This is just not what is indicated: the tremolo should go between the two notes/chords indicated by the notes with a duration of the bar: i.e. DA - F - DA - F and so on. – Brian Chandler Aug 17 '17 at 17:31
  • No - this is wrong - the A and D are played simultaneously, alternating with the F being played by itself. – Alexander Woo Aug 17 '17 at 17:59
  • As of this comment, what is notated here is 32nd notes, not tremolo. – Todd Wilcox Aug 17 '17 at 21:46
  • @ToddWilcox, yes, but this is how it looks like when you unfold the example of the OP. – nath Aug 18 '17 at 12:10

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.