I got a pretty nice Olds Ambassador from Goodwill. There was duct tape over the spit valve -- the whole water key assembly is missing.

I think I could repair it myself, but am not quite sure where to find the part. I don't see many online.

Does anyone know if other trombones or brass instruments use similar enough water keys that I could substitute? And where I could find one?

1 Answer 1


Any local repair shop can order this part from a brass supply company like Allied Supply for about $15 + shipping. It needs to be soldered onto the slide. This is special solder ordered from a brass supply company for which they use an acetylene tank. This is an uncommon setup for the everyday person.

However, most shops (like mine) charge ~$25 total for this service. Its a common repair.

  • This will probably work. However, considering F E Olds has been out of business thirty-something years, the cost of the key may be more expensive than some other company which is still producing parts.
    – Luke_0
    May 4, 2012 at 0:31
  • Indeed; there's really no reason to try to find an original F.E. Olds key assembly when a present-day part will work just fine.
    – NReilingh
    May 4, 2012 at 3:00
  • I looked in the Allied Supply catalog, you can definitely get parts for the Olds Ambassador. However, I agree in that it would be cost effective and prudent for a repair shop to see if a universal water key would work.
    – Pam
    May 4, 2012 at 10:50
  • Out of curiosity, why is special solder needed?
    – Translunar
    May 4, 2012 at 19:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.