Does anyone know the name of the instrument played here? It's the one the guy is spinning around and playing some keys (similar to the accordion).

Incidentally, does anyone know if some company sells them? (I'm thinking in Amazon, which has worldwide shipping). Moreover, are there internet tutorials on how to play it?

  • 1
    I added the youtube link for you, feel free to rollback the changes if you so wish. – Neil Meyer Aug 31 '17 at 7:30
  • Just for future reference, this site has the added functionality of making it possible to just add youtube links and have it auto-embedded. – Neil Meyer Aug 31 '17 at 7:32

It's a hurdy-gurdy - with a history going back more than 1000 years, as recorded in sculptures and paintings.

If you want to buy one, bear in mind that they aren't cheap - ignoring some small versions, you are looking at about $500 minimum, and $1,000 upwards for a good quality one. A really good one will probably cost nearer $10,000 than $1,000!

There are plenty of basic introductions to how they work on YouTube.

  • Your answer may be improved slightly by just quoting some of the relevant info from the wiki article instead of just linking to it. Nitpick I know. – Neil Meyer Aug 31 '17 at 7:33
  • 1
    In other words, practically free. Signed, cellist. – Carl Witthoft Aug 31 '17 at 11:34

Il s'agit d'une vielle à roue, instrument du IXe siècle. Voir : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurdy-gurdy ou : https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vielle_%C3%A0_roue

  • Ecrivez soulement en Anglais, s'il vous plait. (and yes, I know my French is atrocious) – Carl Witthoft Aug 31 '17 at 11:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.