I'm working on a score in 4/4 and would like to insert a half-measure rest in between sections. What would be the most appropriate/readable way to do this? Switch to 2/4 and back, like this:

enter image description here

Or just add two beats to the measure, like this:enter image description here


Well, both of them are readable by someone who knows notation, but the second one is technically wrong, since the bar is now 6/4 and not 4/4. So, you could either change the time signature to 6/4 in your second example (just for the first bar) or use the first example.

  • THanks for the answer! Yeah, that's what I thought too. I've seen the second one used though, but maybe it was a mistake. – Creynders Sep 23 '17 at 10:29
  • The 2/4 bar is a better option, as it will be used as a break bar rather than the end of the previous part. – Tim Sep 23 '17 at 10:31

I would prefer the first example, because the 2nd one is, as already answered , technically wrong. I would suggest a Fermate-Symbol after the last quarter Note.

  • A fermata wouldn't work, as its duration is undetermined. There may be something else playing on those two beats which needs exactly a minimum timing. Although not so in this case. – Tim Sep 23 '17 at 10:28
  • Thanks for the answer! Why the fermata-symbol exactly? I wouldn't want any notes wavering into the rest, i.e. I prefer a hard stop. – Creynders Sep 23 '17 at 10:28
  • Not a fermata, unless you want the last note prolonged. If the exact duration of the break is important and the beat continues, write the 2/4 bar. If you want a less determined 'breathing point' a caesura symbol ('tramlines') might be an alternative. – Laurence Payne Sep 23 '17 at 10:52
  • You can add a fermata to a break. dont know why you downvote my answer - so the player can play the break as long as he wishes. – Eirik Fesker Sep 23 '17 at 16:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.