This question already has an answer here:

Here is a piece of music by Yanni which is arranged for Piano, how should I play the parts I've shown with a circle and what are they called in music? Do they have any special name or is it called a special technique? I myself think that the base-line should be played continuously (something like legato). Am I right? How to play the parts I have marked with a red circle?

marked as duplicate by Shevliaskovic, Bradd Szonye, Tim, Doktor Mayhem Sep 28 '17 at 10:44

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • Agreed, that question covers the technique. As to the rest of this question: There is no special name for this technique; those are simply two bass voices played simultaneously. – Bradd Szonye Sep 28 '17 at 8:29

The idea is that the dots in bass clef with downtails are held for the two beats. It could be done with pedalling, or just held on by the finger that plays each of those notes.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.