This question already has an answer here:

I'm talking about this kind of technique (at the beginning of the video):

How would I notate this kind of technique on paper?

marked as duplicate by Neil Meyer, Tim, Richard, MattPutnam, Matthew Read Oct 3 '17 at 2:59

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • 1
    I think the technical term for what he does there is “wizardry”... – leftaroundabout Sep 30 '17 at 11:13

It's called "ricochet bowing". The video uses cello, but the principle is the same.

The notation is just a text instruction, "ricochet", "jeté", or "staccato volante". The exact difference, if any, between the three techniques can a good topic for endless argument that doesn't lead anywhere very useful!

The notes are often written with staccato dots plus a slur - though as the video says, the choice of up and down bows is more about "what feels comfortable" to an individual player than about what sound is produced.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.