Right hand plays ascending scale, left hand plays descending scale, then alternate until the origin.

Is there a name for this?

2 Answers 2


The ABRSM examination syllabus calls them Contrary-motion scales - for example, see the Scales section on this page: https://us.abrsm.org/en/our-exams/piano/piano-grade-3/


it's called contrary motion scale or simply: split scale or parting scale

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.